In this learning experience students will use operations of fractions/decimals to find the weight of fish and apply percents to determine the percent of food to feed them. Students will determine the weight of the fish by finding the difference between the weight of the container, water, and fish and the weight of the container and water. They will also calculate the amount of food to feed them based on a percent of their body weight. They will record their information into a data table which they will summarize using excel.
MST STANDARD 3
* understand the concepts of and become proficient with the skills of
* communicate and reason mathematically;
* become problem solvers by using appropriate tools and strategies;
through the integrated study of number sense and operations, algebra, geometry,
measurement, statistics and probability.
Number Sense and Operations Strand
* understand numbers, multiple ways of representing numbers,
relationships among numbers, and number systems;
* understand meanings of operations and procedures, how they relate to
* compute accurately and make reasonable estimates.
* determine what can be measured and how, using appropriate methods
* use units to give meaning to measurements;
* understand that all measurement contains error and be able to determine
* develop strategies for estimating measurements.
Content Performance Indicators
* perform operations of fractions/decimals.
* rename percents as fractions and decimals.
* apply their understanding of percent in finding the percent of a number.
* justify reasonableness of answers using estimation.